Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Update from Seoul, Korea

Travel update—2 of our 3 flights are just about over. We are almost done with the Seoul, Korea flight. 45 minutes left to go on a 14 hour flight! This has been the most enjoyable plane I’ve ever been on….hot towels, real silverware, a couple decent meals, toothbrushes and toothpaste in the bathrooms, beverages every hour or so. Wow! I feel like I’m traveling in style. Dan isn’t so sure this rocks that much. But I guess after traveling to India, France, and back maybe he wasn’t quite ready to do a plane ride again. This is a double decker plane. First class is on the top level. We are in coach but were lucky enough to get a row of 3 seats to ourselves. We high-fived when they closed the doors to the plane and no one was sitting here with us. J We ate a nice dinner shortly after take-off. Nothing like having steak at 2 am and then going to sleep. I was able to sleep about 6 hours. Melatonin must really work (it’s a natural sleep aid). Dan fell asleep when I woke up. He got about 4 hours sleep. Then they woke us up for breakfast which I was really ready for. Ravioli! Strange breakfast, but it was good. It is different to be on a plane where other languages are spoken before English and we are the minority. It only took me 7 hours to figure out that the movie headphones had an English station. I was listening to everything in Korean I think. Cracked myself up once I figured that out.

I have mostly been listening to worship music on my downtime and spent a bit of time watching a Christmas concert by Charlotte Church. It focused on the birth of Jesus and she sang only the carols that centered around Him. It was really enjoyable. Watching it made me think of my Grandma Moody and the girls we have yet to meet. I get giddy about every hour or so and just sit here with a big grin on my face or tears in my eyes…dancing to the music in my seat. Once in awhile Dan and I will catch each other’s eye and you can just sense the anticipation we are feeling. What an awesome feeling to know we are this close. TODAY is the day we will meet our daughters. One more layover in Korea and then on to Khabarovsk. That is only a 3-4 hour flight and we hope to sleep a bit on that one to prepare for our big day. I am officially an international traveler. My passport is on its maiden voyage, but not for long.

-Nancy (Wed 12/14 3am Korea time)

Well, we’re sitting in Seoul waiting for the next flight in a couple of hours. It’s amazing once again to see Christmas trees in foreign countries. Although the only English words are “season’s greetings”, I see Immanuel, God with us. I know Jesus is present right now with us protecting, preparing and planning. We’ve been talking about what to say. To expect the unexpected schedule wise. I’m guessing we’ll go right to the orphanage when we land, so we prepared our questions and rehearsed our introductions. Mine is:

Privyet. Kak Deela? Ta-voy papa. = Hi, How are you? I’m your daddy. J

Anyway, it may not work like that….. We’ll just feel our way through it. Other people say you will just KNOW what to do. And so we shall.

It’s fun seeing Nancy on foreign soil. I can see the fear melting away because the uncertainties are gone.

So, again with the movies on my international travel. I watched Harold and Kumar go to White Castle in India (then went to white castle on Saturday when I returned!!). On this flight I watched Sky High and then some bad insomnia hit and I found myself watching The Dukes of Hazard. It was funny to listen to the Korean language version. ;-) And finally I was watching a Korean movie, basically Mr. Mom type of thing and the 1st line I see as I open my bleary eyes is this guy embarrassingly describing his friend as a “testical friend” (Hilarious!!) Somethings don’t translate well. I think he meant best friend. Oh man, good times over the Pacific Ocean.

More later! Off to buy an internet card to see if I can upload this now or if we have to wait until Khabarovsk.


Merry Christmas All! And thanks for the prayers. They are felt.


Dan (Wed 12/14 7am Korea time)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home